Tuesday, January 22, 2008

PLJ Relating to the classroom/ change in learning- story

The chapter "story" composed by Daniel pink in his book "A Whole New Mind" stresses the amplification of a storey's impact as time progresses. Pink believes that story is essential to achieving success in the future and will unquestionably impact our not so distant futuristic lives. Now, after completing the reading portion of the assignment, I am instructed to relate story to a class I am presently attending and reflect on how story has aided in my transformation of learning in that selected class. As a course, I will choose my biology class (second hour, Mr. Craig). After analyzing the semester so far, I recall Mr. Craig's teaching methods and will present them now. As discussed in my last post, story is significantly more attractive in the sense that for a majority of people, story is more informative, connectible, and applicable than conventional methods. Biology poses a great example of how story affects my learning; presently, my class is in the midst of exploring the basic principals of viruses and bacteria. In order to compliment our understanding of the material, Mr. Craig displayed a video in class telling a story of a man suffering from a viral infection. The video was ultimately a success because it demonstrated how the body reacts physically (only something story could show)- not simply why or which method an antibody will use to counter an invasion. This deemed the lesson surprisingly informative in the sense that I could actually visualize what would happen to the victim of for example, AIDS or SMALL POX . Now, I can comprehend the entire spectrum, not simply the microscopic level only text books are capable of displaying.

The reality is that most people aren't ever going to pursue a career in biology; understanding the symptoms and physical stress can sometimes be more informative than the electron microscope itself! This feat can be partially accomplished with a textbook describing the many complex processes the body executes on an invader, but for a majority of people, recognizing the symptoms and visible reactions can be ten times more beneficial, and that's where story is useful.

Before I witnessed the film, I thought in the second dimension about bacteria and viruses. Now that I have been introduced to the second aspect of the whole ordeal, I am a complete three dimensional thinker when the topic of viruses and bacteria arises.
The film was effective, more so than the traditional and extremely analytical point the textbook and lectures have adopted; the reason for its effectiveness can be justified by its simple nature. It was a story. Stories are effective because they have strode the boundary between practicality and its opposite; they have opened my eyes to the possibilities not just a one sided deal and have complimented my learning far more than any lecture could through their ability to connect with the witness.
Analyzing my learning as a whole, I can safely assume that I comprehend material and retain it easier when a story is used to convey information. For example, the unit prior to this current one was structured upon the theories of evolution. That unit did not comprise of a "story day" like in this current unit; the evolution test emerged and proved to have not been completed as well as the bacteria/ virus chapter. Essentially, I achieved a better score on the microorganism exam because of visual concepts. For this reason, I hope that Mr. Craig and all my other teachers will utilize the power which is the story in future lessons!

No comments: