Tuesday, January 15, 2008

PLJ reflection of portfolio- Design

As instructed after completing the chapter “design” in Daniel Pink’s book "A Whole New Mind", I took the liberty of browsing the portfolio section at the end of each chapter. The activity I accepted as the most influential and most connectable was titled “Participate in the Third Industrial Revolution”. The small description included with the book stated that design is a key factor in the business world; it spelled out the magnitude of this statement by providing an example in the form of a web site. The web site referenced was a designer page allowing a customer to customize a shoe and eventually purchase the personalized dream shoe. Although the price for an individually designed shoe of this genera is excessively overpriced (at 120 dollars per pair!), the Nike shoe company will surly profit from this scam. As I journeyed to the site, I was greeted with a familiar Nike logo and a large array of attractive footwear. Basically, the designing aspect of the customized shoe is simply choosing an already existing Nike shoe and altering its normal color scheme. The prospect seems elementary and utterly boring, but once I had begun the program, I couldn’t draw myself away. I was in full control of my shoe and could simply delete the unfavorable aspects of the shoe and also add new components resulting in a truly attractive experience. The font and Van’s shoe design web sources were also wonderful to operate. It all depends on an individual’s personal preferences, but overall, design will impact the world, economics, and daily conduct. I guess I can wholeheartedly unionize my opinions with David Small’s when he states “The proliferation of mass customization of consumer products will have a powerful and empowering effect on how ordinary people see design.”

No comments: