Sunday, January 13, 2008

PLJ Change in learning week 1

Analyzing the first week of the new semester, it’s difficult to select a class in which my learning has changed. It’s probably most prudent to select my English course over any others, for in that English class, new technologies have been introduced which complement our current novel, "A Whole New Mind" by Daniel Pink. One of the first things Pink discusses in his novel is a term he has titled “automation”. In the context of Pink’s book, the term is used to correlate with the act of replacing conventional aspects of work with easier and more efficient computers. As in my English class, computers have successfully replaced the conservative paper and pencil; now, with the adoption of laptop computers in this English course, students are capable of much more. Speed, resourcefulness, and portability are just a minority of benefits associated with computers. Previously, constructing an essay would consume infinite amounts of time researching and frankly writing the paper itself. With the introduction of computers, the average student is no longer bound by the confines of the two dimensional paper and pen, but is able to access the wonders radiated by a computer. The computer is an improvement also in the sense that it is a universal device; a computer plays host to an endless barrage of weapons to be utilized in an assignment and is faster than traditional practices any day! The internet is constantly expanding; incorporating helpful information into its boundaries; students will have a significant amount of information at their disposal due to the powers of laptops in classrooms. Being a component of the “generation that constantly seeks instant gratification”, I can certainly proclaim my love for the laptops that render me capable of accessing necessary information in a flash. By nature, I am a generally impatient person, so the computers have impacted my life to the point where I constantly rely on them for my every whim and need. On this page alone, the spell check has defiantly found at least 10 misspellings and has corrected them; I am in the process of using the internet to compose this piece (the directions are located on the Arapahoe website)! The computer should be certainly considered a breakthrough in technology, it has affected my learning immensely (meaning that I use a computer for practically every assignment or task I need to complete) and is also efficient, effective, and favorable!

No comments: