Tuesday, February 5, 2008

PLJ- Empathy Relate to class/ change in learning

According to Daniel Pink's description of his fourth sense "Empathy", empathetic individuals are successfully able to visualize the problems or triumphs encountered by other people. Feeling "with" someone is defiantly not one sense I would consider myself proficient in. The chapter is introduced with a story describing the turmoil confronted by Daniel Pink; the objective was to generate yawning on the reader’s behalf by vividly describing the process continuously. Apparently, the book thinks I don't encompass a "natural sense of Empathy" because throughout the whole description, my mouth remained dormant. I guess another conclusion resembling my last in "symphony" can be made; empathy, like symphony is too abstract for me to comprehend fully. Some days, I am perfectly capable of visualizing how a person feels internally, but on most occasions, this goal is not met. The world is comprised of a majority of left- brained thinkers; this is precisely why aptitudes similar to empathy are in such great demand and can't be outsourced or automated. Even though I would not consider myself empathetic to a substantial degree, some instances which involve the utilization of empathetic qualities do assist me in achieving understanding. For example, my history class is currently exploring the Japanese WWII era horror practices; today, a video presentation, compiled by my teacher (Mrs. Crosby) interviewed surviving victims of Japanese cruelty. After the Manchurian province of China was overwhelmed by Japanese forces in 1937, the Chinese civilian population became subject to inhumane, cruel processes; the remaining people who initially received such treatment were invited to recollect their experiences on camera. I distinctly remember one woman recounting her ordeal; the story itself was frightening and provoked my sense of empathy. I could actually visualize what was happening to the woman through her own eyes; other accounts of soldiers' experiences in Operation Overlord also generated similar feelings, thus again provoking my “uncooperative” sense of empathy. Before I witnessed the film and read other accounts of soldiers, WWII and other emotionally inclined subjects were simply a regurgitation of facts with no poignant value whatsoever. 10,000 Americans perished on D- Day; it was simply a fact, the emotional value arrived at the encounter of descriptions recalling a man exploding, a man crying, a man helplessly dying on the unforgiving beach, and other related material. Empathy has truly aided in my quest to understand material in depth, not simply facts, but also emotion.
Overall, empathetic approaches on information have had lasting impressions in my memory. I comprehend the material a lot more in depth with the addition of empathy into the spectrum. The modern world is not solely structured upon information; today conception has claimed dominance and what better way to support this new change than to empathize?

No comments: