Monday, February 18, 2008

PLJ Meaning Portfolio

In order to better comprehend the sense of “Meaning” in Daniel Pink’s book "A Whole New Mind", I took the liberty of completing the “20- 10 Test” located in the portfolio section of the chapter “Meaning”. According to the book, the sense of meaning is essential to personal fulfillment, happiness, and gratitude; specifically, the twenty ten test examines the level of happiness vested in an individual. The exercise poses a question, would the reader surrender his/ her current occupation for either twenty million dollars or if the reader would only live for another ten years. Ideally, the answer would assume the form of a definite “no”, but if the job of the reader was meaningless, they would presumably respond “yes”. Seeing as my current “job” (attending Arapahoe High School) is undeniably pleasurable and therefore meaningful, I would have to continue my life as a student and respond to this question “no”.
Although twenty million dollars does seem attractive, my current occupation does radiate more happiness, gratification, and meaning than twenty million could ever do. Also, living to be only 25 years would be devastating, so spending the diminutive amount of time I have left would only be experienced at Arapahoe.
The main question this exercise inquires is if a person’s life is meaningful enough to stay the course in relation to their current job. Because my job is obviously productive and happy (therefore meaningful) I would answer “no” to this question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.