Wednesday, February 6, 2008

PLJ- Empathy Portfolio

After completing the chapter "Empathy" in Daniel Pink's book, A Whole New Mind, I focused my attention on the portfolio section of the installment. The first activity grasped my attention, so I took the liberty of completing it. It was titled "Test yourself" and was essentially a collection of online tests assembled to assist in my understanding of my own brain and empathetic characteristics. Ultimately, I arrived at a consensus; I would test myself in the "detect the fake smile" department of the exercise. The website belongs to the very renowned BBC and is composed of twenty questions each focusing on being able to identify false smiles.
After successfully completing the activity, the results demonstrated that I had reached a proficient level in deciphering between genuine and fake facial expressions. Apparently, I received a score of seventeen correct out of the initial twenty, a staggering statistic for someone such as myself. Oddly enough, I described my now deceiving sense of empathy in the previous post and explained that the book allegedly classified me as a non- empathetic person. With the addition of this successful test to my present accumulation, I might value this test over the previous book- issued one. After receiving a respectable score on the facial expression exam, I actually may demolish my previous conclusion about how I am not empathetic at all and adopt a new more neutral one.
As stated on numerous occasions, the world has evolved to the extent where the logical and analytical perspective commonly associated with the previous century is not sufficient. Activities such as detecting genuine or fake smiles are great in the sense that they enable one to comprehend the whole image. It's not facts which will separate the successful from inferiors; empathy is a vital part of understanding. Reaching enlightenment is only a product of experiencing something from another's view, so to truly comprehend other piers, it would be beneficial to become empathetic.

No comments: