Sunday, February 10, 2008

PLJ- play portfolio

To better understand and exercise my sense of "Play" I selected the activity titled "Step on the Humor Scale" in the portfolio section of the chapter "play". The object of the activity is to determine how "funny" (an aspect of play) an individual is; people with lower depression levels and higher senses of purpose tend to score higher averages than their opposite piers.
After completing the series of questions, the computer declared that I was an average person meaning humor is used in my life but not constantly. Elaborating on the test, I scored a 53 out of a possible 64, yet again emphasizing my average interactions with humor.
To be completely honest, my score does reflect my character with pinpoint accuracy; I'm generally welcoming in response to humor, but I am not necessarily proficient in generating it, hence my “average” score. Also reiterating my “average” performance is the balance between my levels of depression and purpose (depression being low and purpose too, thus creating an average between two extremes). Daniel Pink's book "A Whole New Mind" specifically states that instances exist where humor and play should be utilized, but on the contrary, times also call for somberness. Considering this, it's most prudent to fall in between both extremes; life can’t always be humorous (thus defeating the purpose of a burial), but laughter and play do benefit the body and should be utilized in some circumstances.

No comments: